What's new
Australian Libertarian Community

Welcome to the home of Australia's libertarian movement. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Javier Milei

Rob

Neophyte
If you haven't listened to Milei's speach at Davos 2024 it is worth listening to. I am surprised that Milei is not generating more interest in the libertarian community.

It was good. But hate to be that guy but: what a wasted introduction. The empirical data doesn't convince anyone. Not to mention that GDP is also a completely BS metric. Which I'm sure he knows.

- nothing wrong with coercion, aggression is the problem
- solid no market failure points
- solid ending

Wish there was some actual better points made re: Mises economic calculation argument... to disabuse everyone in the room they can rationally allocate resources.

Hayek states that “the threat of force or violence is the most important form of coercion" -> Milei says that the state uses coercion to steal money from people in the form of "taxes" (that can ultimately become aggression if coercion is not enough). Do you think that coercion is ok?

It was good. But hate to be that guy but: what a wasted introduction. The empirical data doesn't convince anyone. Not to mention that GDP is also a completely BS metric. Which I'm sure he knows.

- nothing wrong with coercion, aggression is the problem
- solid no market failure points
- solid ending

Wish there was some actual better points made re: Mises economic calculation argument... to disabuse everyone in the room they can rationally allocate resources.
Agreed not perfect but good nevertheless. I wonder who his target audience was? Perhaps he was just having fun, I would if I was him.

Hayek states that “the threat of force or violence is the most important form of coercion" -> Milei says that the state uses coercion to steal money from people in the form of "taxes" (that can ultimately become aggression if coercion is not enough). Do you think that coercion is ok?

Hayek is great on many things but absolutely hopeless on this. I recommend reading/listening to Hoppe or Kinsella to get a good understanding of what libertarians mean by coercion, why we oppose it and why taxes are never justified. Both Rothbard (Rothbard vs The Philosophers) and Raico (Clasical Liberalism and the Austrian School) have written good studies on Hayek. All these authors are a joy to read and highly recommended. My apologies if I misread your post and you have already read these. Cheers